Reflections on Slice of Life: The Last Day
Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my blog these last 31 days! They don’t call it the Slice of Life Challenge for nothing! These 31 days have been challenging, but they’ve also been really fun and enlightening.
Here are some thoughts on the last 31 days:
- I loved it. Really! And, maybe I’m a better observer and writer for the effort.
- I noticed this week that I’m better at responding to student papers since I started the challenge.
- Since my days were already jam packed, the margin to write came from my sleeping hours. As much as I didn’t want to, I ended up posting most nights between 10:30 and 11:55 pm, after my youngest went to bed. Next year, I’m hoping to shift that to mornings.
- Everyone in our house went to bed late because mom was up late slicing and not paying attention! After today, its back to a reasonable bedtime for everyone in the family!
- There are some very talented writers and teachers in this community and I am grateful to have been able to join this group. I enjoyed the camaraderie and the encouragement.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: That’s what my readers saw in my writing this month!
- Having a writer’s notebook was super helpful to corral ideas and snippets of writing for Slicing.
- It wasn’t hard to come up with a topic each day. I have a lifetime of topics and observations inside me. The harder task was carving out time to write and post.
- I’ve learned that I can be more attentive to my blog, a goal of mine for years. If I can churn out a post every day for an entire month, then I should be able to post once a week the rest of the year.
- I’m glad everyone around me knew I was slicing. They kept me going by asking questions like, “Mom, what are you going to slice about today?” or “Are you just now slicing? my husband would ask.
- My laptop got a real work out and so did my neck and shoulders! Next year, I’m adding in a little extra yoga to offset the bad slicing posture.
Thank you to the people at twowritingteachers.org for sponsoring this Challenge. It has been a very positive experience. Hopefully, I’ll be seeing you all on Tuesdays and again next March. ‘Til next time!