16 Sweet Scoops
In honor of my team being one of the 16 teams in the NCAA Basketball Tournament today, I’m writing a list of 16 fun facts about me.
- Florida State University is my alma mater and I love watching Seminoles football and basketball, especially with my husband and sons. FSU is playing Gonzaga in the tournament right now and there’s a boy sitting next to me in a pair of slippers.
- I love pizza, but I had to give it up when I went Paleo a couple of years ago. The cheesier, meatier, crispier the better. Dang! It is hard to talk about this one, because I really do miss pizza!
- I also love spaghetti, but had to give that up too. Now I eat spaghetti squash and not only does it make me feel better, but it also is better nutritionally. Zucchini squash noodles rock too.
- I am not a perfectionist. I wish I could tell you that I’ve ever done a single thing perfectly, but I can’t. I think this would be a nice trait to have.
- I didn’t start reading until I was 23. Not literally, of course, but reading for pleasure and learning. My husband introduced me to reading when we started dating. He always had a book or two he was reading and encouraged me to give it a try. The rest is history.
- At 15, I started running. I ran my first race in a pair of canvas sneakers.
- We don’t eat our chickens when they quit laying. We retire them to greener pastures.
- I’m a southern rock ‘n roll girl. There’s nothing better than listening to Lynard Skynard, the Allman Brothers or the Marshall Tucker Band on a road trip.
- My favorite place to write is at a coffee shop with a cup of green tea. Getting out of the house and away from all the piles of work I have here, clears my mind and enables me to focus.
- I head up the bookstore at my church. On a Sunday after Divine Liturgy, you’ll find me in the bookstore talking with people about books, God and Orthodoxy.
- My oldest son is a techno wizard and he’s my go-to whenever I have a problem with my phone. I have a gene that makes technological devices go haywire when I’m nearby. So, he adjusts all my screen problems, which are many.
- I started this blog in the summer of 2014, so I’ve been blogging and photo blogging for 4 years.
- I met my husband while we were students at Florida State.
- My first car was a 1973 blue 2-door Mavrick, with three on the tree. When I was a senior, it started smoking and caught on fire at a football game. Then the fire department came!! There is something profoundly weird about the spontaneous combustion of your vehicle, especially when you are 17.
- I would describe my teaching style as hands-on and energetic. I like to keep the pace going so that the students aren’t bored. I change up our activities every week so that I keep the students guessing. On any given day, we may be debating, discussing, work shopping, pair-sharing, reading, writing, conferencing, quizzing, acting, drawing, presenting, researching or competing.
- I have never seen the Pacific Ocean, but I’m hoping to this summer!